The fun is over. With my manuscript waiting for response from Beta reading, I figured, hey, I could get a head start on writing my query and synopsis. I forgot how frustrating it was to take tens of thousands of words and boil it down to a few hundred. On this end, I will never know exactly which character, or aspects of the story will capture the attention of an agent. So, unlike the previously queried manuscript, this book has several characters with ambiguous natures, subplots and is altogether more complex than my middle-grade fiction. I forgot this struggle.
I took days crafting my query plot summary for my MG, and even longer for that synopsis. That was about half the length and will little or no moral ambiguity. I know, this is the struggle for every writer that wants to go the traditional publishing route.
Just trying to purge the confusion and focus on the kernel of the story. Boil it all down to the essence without losing the tone and feel of this novel. I am hoping to be querying this puppy before the month is out.